Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Suffolk Fire Experience - Doc 165 Ann Neylan Royal Berkshire Fire Service

Interested in other Suffolk Firefighter tales then check out “The Suffolk Hyde Affair” athttp://thesuffolkhydeaffair.blogspot.com/


Mr A Wigglesworth
Lowestoft

Thompsons Solicitors
Congress house
Great Russell Street
London
WC1B 3LW

Your Ref CDJ/WIGGLESWORTH/L98/60166

31st July, 1998

Dear Mr Jones,

I write further to our telephone conversation 27th July 1998.

As you might recall I indicated that I would be returning work on 29th July 1998 after annual leave and that I expected further harassment after verbal threats to that had been made by Divisional Officer Colin Hodge.

Indeed my expectations were justified and substantiated in quick time.

On Friday evening 31st July 1998 I received a menacing, abusive and threatening telephone call at my home address from Assistant County Fire Officer Kenneth Seager. During the conversation I was ordered, with immediate effect, to return to duty at Lowestoft Fire Station. No civil emergency existed for ACFO K Seager to justify this action. Using abusive and intemperate language ACFO K Seager told me that unless I returned to duty I would be prosecuted for “Absence of Duty” under the Fire Service (Discipline) Regulations 1985.

Asked what the justification for the return to duty was ACFO K Seager said it was to pick up a package containing legal documents related to the previously notified investigation. ACFO K Seager said that as this was a legal matter I was duty bound to report to Lowestoft Station. I told ACFO K Seager that I thought he was misguided and that Fire Service disciplinary matters were not governed by practices rooted in the criminal justice system. I told him that as his call was a work matter it could quite easily wait until Monday morning. Once again with a further barrage of intemperate and abusive language ACFO K Seager said that unless returned to duty at Lowestoft Fire Station discipline prosecutions would be instituted. Under such threats and duress I reluctantly agreed to return to duty.

I later met with T/ADO Saward at Lowestoft Fire Station with Sub Officer George Moran present. I was presented with a brown envelope which I duly deposited in my locker at the Station. T/ADO Saward protested against this action imploring me to open the package and sign an official acknowledgement. I told T/ADO Saward that I would consider the contents when I return to work on Monday and left him chuntering to himself.

I will update you later when I have returned to work and had time to view the contents of the package. Notwithstanding, I have no doubt that the contents of the package are related to unlawful deduction of wages carried out by Deputy County Fire Officer Simon Smith, which we discussed at length the other day. Clearly the situation is deteriorating at a rapid rate. Whilst I expressed that I was highly reluctant to make an application to the Industrial tribunal, when we spoke the other day, latest developments seem to suggest that the Brigades intransigence and retaliatory action leave me with no other alternative. Therefore, reluctantly I would ask that the application is pursued without further delay

Yours sincerely


A D Wigglesworth BSc, G.I.Fire.E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home