Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Suffolk Fire Experience - Doc 450 Clifton Road Fire Station Closure Sale of Fire Equipment

Note this document was not provided to Y until on or around 12th April 1999. Therefore, its creation as dated cannot be independently verified.


SUFFOLK FIRE SERVICE

To: Chief Fire Officer

From: ADO Saward

Date: 6 February 1999


Grievance Firefighter Y

As a result of leading Firefighter Brown’s sickness, ADO Fuller promoted Firefighter Y to the rank of Temporary Leading Firefighter with effect from Sunday 27 September 1998. This appointment was confirmed in a memorandum dated 25 September which also stated that the temporary promotion would continue “until the return to full duties of LFf Brown”

My understanding is that it was envisaged that LFf Brown would be sick for approximately 4 weeks. It has now become evident that the sickness will continue for many months.

I assessed the impact of this long term absence, taking into account the representations of the watch officer, together with the personal development needs of station personnel.

There are two firefighters on station Normanshurst who have been assessed as suitable for promotion to the rank of Leading Firefighter. Firefighter Y has not.

Having held the rank for four months and in an attempt to employ the principle of fairness and equality, I took the decision to revert Firefighter Y to his substantive rank, having previously taken advise on the position regarding the wording of ADO Fuller’s memorandum, and temporarily promote another Firefighter to Temporary Leading Firefighter.

I spoke to Ff Y on the evening of 19 January and informed him of my decision. He was not pleased with the decision and I told him that I would confirm the details to him in writing, which I did in a memorandum the following day.

When I arrived at my office on the morning of 29 January, there was an envelope on my desk which contained a memorandum from Ff Hyde in which he gave notice of his wish to invoke the grievance procedure.

I wrote to him the same day, and delivered the letter by hand to his home address, acknowledging receipt of his request and informing him that I would be available to hear his grievance at 0900hours on Thursday 4 February, which was the next time I would be in Lowestoft.

On Wednesday 3 February Ff Y spoke to me on the telephone and said that this time would not be convenient to him and we agreed to meet at 1800hours on Friday 85th February.

At the first stage meeting Ff Y was accompanied by Firefighter Gilbert as his union representative and Assistant Divisional Officer smith was present as a witness and took contemporaneous notes.

The main substance of the grievance was the memorandum from ADO fuller. It soon became clear that I would not be in a position to satisfy his grievance and he indicated that he wished the matter to be referred to the second stage.

G. E. Saward
Assistant Divisional Officer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home