Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Suffolk Fire Experience - Doc 230 Newquay Firefighter

Interested in other Suffolk Firefighter tales then check out “The Suffolk Hyde Affair” at http://thesuffolkhydeaffair.myblogsite.com/blog

Analysis Statement of Station Officer Jim Doc 229


“Due to the flexible nature of the work schedule within the brigade training department I have previously allowed informal arrangements for booking leave.”

What he really means is that is what custom and practice was.

“Essentially ………. instructors managed their own leave and only had to inform me verbally that they intended to take leave. If I was unavailable they then a note left on my desk was acceptable.”

So more or less exactly what Wiggy did when taking his leave 7th August 1998. Managed his own leave and left a note on Station Officer Jims desk.

“In return for this informal arrangement instructors have always accommodated my requests (often at short notice) to work rota days and to change duties.”

And as far as Wiggy was concerned about 20 – 30 changes of rota at short notice to cover for others in the previous 12 months.

“On the 8th July 1998 ADO Hayden issued an order instructing that all leave requests be submitted to me in writing. I issued copies of that order to all instructors including those attending courses at the Fire Service College. In particular, I have been asked if a copy was issued to Sub O Wigglesworth. I can confirm that I left a copy of the order on his desk.”


Ah so you can’t confirm Wiggy was given a copy of ADO Hayden’s proclamation 8th July 1998. And the desk would be the same one used by all an sundry who visited the Training Department to sit at, work from, use and plonk their bags, brief cases and everything else on etc.

“He was on annual leave at the time. My annual leave ran from 1.898 to 16.8.98. When I returned I found a leave request dated 7.8.98 from Sub O Wigglesworth requesting leave on the 12.8.98. This request had been left on my desk in my absence.”

So the leave request was left as per normal. But Station Officer Jim has forgot to say that he and Wiggy were only on duty together for one day between 8th July and 12th August 1998

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home