Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Suffolk Fire Experience - Doc 193 Stockton Fireman

Interested in other Suffolk Firefighter tales then check out “The Suffolk Hyde Affair” athttp://thesuffolkhydeaffair.blogspot.com/


Mr A Wigglesworth
Lowestoft

FBU Region 10
Steve Brinkley


10th August 1998

Dear Steve,

I wish to make a formal complaint about the behaviour and actions of Divisional Officer Colin Hodge and Assistant Divisional Officer Paul Hayden. Both are, I believe, members of the Fire Brigades Union and subject to the rules of the union. The relevant facts are set out below for your consideration.

I was on duty at Lowestoft on 7th August 1998. At approximately 1200-1215 hours I was approached, by ADO Hayden, in the instructors office. ADO Hayden asked me to follow him into his office. He offered no explanation as to the reason.

I then asked ADO Hayden why he wanted to see me in his office. He replied with several sarcastic remarks including ‘it’s a surprise – follow me and you will find out.’

On entering ADO Hayden’s office I was confronted by an aggressive DO Colin Hodge. Straight away I informed both Do Hodge and ADO Hayden that I was uncomfortable in their presence and asked for a union official to be present with me.

DO Hodge replied (already knowing the answer), ‘is there one on station?’ I was later informed he had enquired about this with station personnel before arranging for me to be brought to ADO Hayden’s office.

I replied ‘No.’

Despite my perfectly reasonable request and established custom and practice DO Hodge refused to allow me the benefit of union representation. At the same time he became more aggressive and agitated.

His next action was to try and present me with a brown sealed envelope named to me and marked CONFIDENTIAL. Once more I requested the presence of a union representative and refused the envelope without my representative being present.

At this stage DO Hodge began shouting abuse and ordered me to open the letter complete with bizzare threats that if I did not open the CONFIDENTIAL letter in his presence I would be charged with mutiny, gross misconduct and all the other offences he could think of. At the same time he ordered ADO Hayden to make written notes. The latter stood motionless with his mouth open as DO Hodge seemed to lose control of his emotions and bladder.

Once more I declined his offer and asked for a union representative to be present.

DO Hodges next response with glace-cherry looking eyes was to wildly rip open the CONFIDENTIAL marked envelope addressed to myself and read it out at shouting pitch. Finally saying that I should sign it.

There was no way I was prepared to sign any document offered to me in such a violent manner.

I immediately withdrew from the office under severe strain and stress. All attributed to the wild behaviour of DO Colin Hodge. As I did so DO Hodge began chasing after me down the corridor like a mad man. I keep on running while looking back while ADO Hayden attempted to pacify DO Hodge.

I immediately took advice from Thompsons and booked sick with Sub officer Roy Mitchell who was the station duty watch officer. I informed Sub Officer Roy Mitchell that the cause of my sickness was the direct result of the violent and aggressive behaviour of DO Colin Hodge. In effect I had subject to a reportable injury. At the same time I duplicated this action by informing Mr Derek Lay at County Hall that I had booked sick.


Yours sincerely


A D Wigglesworth BSc, G.I.Fire.E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home