Friday, September 15, 2006

The Suffolk Fire Experience - Doc 305 Halesworth Fire Station Open Day

Interested in other Suffolk Firefighter tales then check out “The Suffolk Hyde Affair” athttp://thesuffolkhydeaffair.blogspot.com/


Suffolk County Council

Fire Service

Mr A D WigglesworthSub
C/o Training Department
Normanshurst

Your ref
Our ref MHA/SIS
Ask for CFO Allcock
Tel (01473) 588969

14th October 1998

Dear Sub Officer Wigglesworth

Further to my letter of the 18 September, I am now in a position to make a decision in respect of your request to be appointed to a firefighter vacancy.

I have now been advised by Doctor Deacon concerning the results of the mental health examination you requested him to undertake on 15th September 1998. Doctor Deacon’s view is that you are psychologically fit for operational duties without restriction. He could find no evidence of any ongoing medical examination which might affect your fitness for operational or other duties. According to his report you were keen to assure Doctor Deacon that you were not currently ill or on sick leave. Doctor deacon also says you gave him no indication that you were suffering from any after-affects which could be attributable to stress in your employment or any other circumstance. I am therefore unable to reconcile Doctor Deacon’s expert medical opinion with the statement in your memorandum of 14 September that the events over the previous three months have had a profound effect on your health and general welfare. Indeed, I am minded to say that such claims seem to be dis-ingenuous. I reject without question your claim that, as your employer, the County Council has neglected to observe its duty of care. The medical examination which you attended more than fully discharged this duty and the speed and courtesy with which Brigade personnel responded to the concerns you raised in your 14th September memorandum was commendable and beyond reproach. The so called harassment, bullying, abuse and intimidation to which you refer in your memorandum are I understand, the subject of an investigation under the County Council’s established procedures. I am confident these procedures will show your claims to be groundless.

Therefore, I do not accept, that there is a pressing need for you to revert in rank on the grounds of your health. I am mindful, however of the statement in your last sentence in which you say that you do not possess ‘the capability nor the confidence required to perform the duties of a junior officer.’ On that basis alone I am prepared to allow you to revert in rank to firefighter subject to the details of such a reversion being agreed through a compromise agreement drawn up by the County Secretary & Solicitors Department and with advice from your own solicitors.

I would advise you, in advance of any such agreement being reached, that, where individuals have reverted in rank from Sub Officer in the past, management best practice dictates that it is unwise for demoted officers to serve at the location or in the department where they had previously served in a managerial or junior officer capacity. I am sure you will agree I am correct. Indeed it is in your own and everybody’s best interests that we remove any potential areas for harassment and bullying by colleagues who had previously been subordinates, this practice would be particularly appropriate in your case. I am informed that there is a vacancy at Haverhill that can be made available to you.

I should be grateful to receive your confirmation within seven days that you still wish to revert in rank and will take up the position at Haverhill. I inform you that you will be required to sign a compromise agreement which specifies you are fully aware of the financial implications. Subject to you signing that agreement I to your agreement on this I will instruct the County Secretary and Solicitors Department on that basis.

I am prepared to give you a few more days of leave as described in my letter 18 September for you to respond to this letter. If you do not respond, or do not wish to take up my generous offer you are ordered to report for duty in your current post at 0900 on 21st October 1998.




Yours sincerely

M H Allcock
Supreme Chief Fire Officer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home